Friday, September 3, 2010

Hospital update

Surgery is scheduled for today, Friday, at about 2pm. I spoke to the surgeon this morning. They are going to put me under, do a bronchoscopy to make sure nothing was missed in the lungs; do an endoscopy to see if there is any infection in the esophagus or the upper GI tract; and then, most likely, they will make an incision in my neck and go in and drain the abscess.

No surgery is without risks, of course, but one of the residents did describe this as "child's play" compared to the transplant. Though this surgery is complicated by my post-transplant immunosuppression. Not sure how long the surgery will all take, but it looks like I'll be in the hospital a few days recovering and I'll probably leave on more IV antibiotics. Hopefully everything goes smoothly.

Still no idea what caused the abscess, but they may be able to determine that based on what they see inside.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Chris - Best of luck with the surgery today and hope all goes well. Will think of you this weekend and despite going into surgery, thanks for keeping us all in the loop! Hope post-op recovery goes well and hang in there! You're quite a trooper. Hugs from NY, Mita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey hun, sorry to hear you're heading back to the OR. Hopefully, that will all be done with soon. Hang in there; will keep you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete