Saturday, June 19, 2010

"home"

chris is now taking over the blog from mom. she has done a commendable job, but i'm sort of tired of seeing her inadvertantly post her work contact info over and over. sorry, mom. but thanks. you done good.

with my hijacking, the following things will now be true:
1. updates will likely be LESS FREQUENT. frankly, if things go properly, there shouldnt be a lot happening, which is good, because there will be less crap to bore you with. and frankly, im not nearly as diligent as mom, so things will slip.
2. you can now expect regular injections of SARCASM (and insulin).
3. TYPOS will abound.
4. the blog will be FUNNIER. obvi.
5. you will get TIRED of me. unfortunately, if you signed up for email updates, youre gonna have to figure out how to unsubscribe by yourself. cause i dont care.
6. entries will probably be LONGER. because i am verbose. and terribly lonely (see #2).

as you know, i was discharged this morning. i am now "home" at the new apartment across the river from the hospital. pretty sweet digs, really. dad far exceeded my expectations. i guess i underestimate him sometimes. post-transplant requires that i have someone around all the time, so dad and i will be living the bachelor life (except when mom comes to town). he is out now stocking up on whiskey, beer, pizza, potato chips, and cigars. and tonight they are installing the stripper poll in the living room. ahh, the bachelor life. sorry, mom.

lungs are good, though they still feel sort of foreign. i dont know how else to describe it. i have to sort of relearn to breathe, in a way. but everything seems to be healing properly, as far as anyone has told me. but the new medication routine will take some getting used to.

today's big decision will be about my playoff beard. whether to a) shave off my transplant beard and start afresh sunday with my rehab beard; or b) keep the transplant beard through rehab as one long playoff beard. its getting itchy, so im leaning towards shaving. either way, i feel it is an important symbolic gesture to overgrow my facial hair like a superstitious atthlete until this is all over. we'll just have to wait and see if symbolism is more important than looking like a crazy irish hobo.

lastly, thanks to everyone who sent cards, emails, texts, comments, etc. it was overwhelmingly helpful to know that so many people were following along and pulling for me. (that is the first and last sentimental thing i will say on this blog. its just not how i roll. but it all really did help.) the staff was pretty impressed with my massive mail haul. and y'all know how i llike to impress strangers. you guys are the best.

3 comments:

  1. uh-oh...better be careful the playoff beard doesn't turn you into some weird irish hobo-hick! (note your use of "y'all" at the end lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i say keep the beard going! every neighborhood needs a crazy irish hobo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Chris!

    You look fantastic in your new pic you posted! Sorry you are hearing from me so late in the process. I was informed by Mona about your surgery a little late. As far as the beard goes, my suggestion as a hairstylist is to shave off the beard and start all over with possibly a handlebar mustache or a Fu Man Chu...haha...I need to get the address of your new apartment so I can send you a card and also please let me know when is a good time to visit. Mona and I want to make a trip to see you....if you want to see us and don't think the two of us will drive you absolutely mad! hehe....I'm going to stop babbling now. Much love to my silky. :-)

    Sharmeen

    ReplyDelete